NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: SAUERKRAUT

3/21/14

SAUERKRAUT

Ok, let me start by saying I KNOW THIS ISN'T A SEXY FOOD POST.
I know I know, but sometimes I have to throw something non-desserty in the mix. 

Sauerkraut seems like such an underrated food.  Usually thought of as something you only eat with bratwurst & beer, this simple food is really a superfood. When I'm on a 21 Day Sugar Detox I usually eat sauerkraut daily, for some reason I find it helps keep my sweet cravings at bay.

There are several health benefits to sauerkraut (as well as other fermented foods).  Sauerkraut contains vitamin Clactobacilli, and other nutrients. It is also a source of biogenic amines, such as tyramine. It also provides various cancer-fighting compounds including isothiocyanate and sulphoraphane

That was way to scientific for me too. Lots of words that spell check doesn't recognize, total blogger headache. Anyway, I'm sure you get the point ;)


Sauerkraut




INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 large head of green cabbage sliced into thin strips (save 1 large leaf unsliced)
  • 2 tbsp sea salt
  • 2 cloves finely sliced garlic

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Place 1/3 cabbage into a large bowl and sprinkle with 1/3 of salt.  Using your hands, squeeze the cabbage until water begins to come out of it.
  2. Repeat process 2 more times until all the cabbage and salt is used up.  Add the sliced garlic and mix with your hands.
  3. Fill 2 32-oz mason jars, pressing the mixture down so the water releases and rises above the cabbage. Take the large cabbage leaf and lay on top of sliced mixture and press firmly.  Place a shot glass on top to keep the cabbage weighted down.
  4. Place mason jars in bowls (incase of spillage) and store in cool, dark place where it will not be disturbed.
  5. Check on the sauerkraut every other day to make sure the water level has remained above the cabbage. With a clean spoon, remove any mold that might have formed.
  6. Allow the sauerkraut to ferment for at least 2 weeks and taste it on occasion.
  7. Once the sauerkraut is to your liking, cover the jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator. It will last for months and will not continue to ferment once refrigerated.



           
          Sign-Up for monthly newsletters 
         and receive my FREE eBook




No comments:

Post a Comment

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...