NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: HAM & SWEET POTATO SLOW COOKER QUITTATA

1/8/14

HAM & SWEET POTATO SLOW COOKER QUITTATA

A few years ago there was no way you would EVER get me to eat eggs...unless they were in a cake.  After finding out I had Celiac I found my breakfast options were limited or at least that was what I thought. I was so use to eating bagels, cereal and muffins that I felt lost without my gluteny AM carb fix. 

Feeling limited I decided to start with an egg white omelet, loaded with veggies, cheese and the taste hidden with hot sauce. It quickly became my favorite meal.  Over time I dropped the cheese, scaled back on the hot sauce and decided to finally eat the yolk.  Now I make an egg dish every week for a quick meal.

Ham & Sweet Potato Quittata and a glass of wine (wine optional)
My new favorite way to cook eggs is in a slow cooker, which has been named a QUITTATA thanks to my Social Media friend Meancor Fitness.   It's not quite a quiche and not quite a frittata, but it's not - not those things?  Anyway, just toss everything into the pot and let it cook for a few hours while at the gym or running errands...or catching up on T.V. Regardless, there's no need to hover around the oven any more.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 eggs
  • 2 c. sweet potato, diced
  • 1 c. coconut milk, full fat (gives the frittata more of a custardy texture)
  • 1/2 lb ham (or any meat)
  • 1/2 c. red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. In a large bowl (or blender) combine eggs, coconut milk, salt and pepper and whisk thoroughly
  2. Pour egg mixture into slow-cooker
  3. Spread ham and onion across the egg mixture
  4. Cover and cook on high for 2-1/2 hours (for a quicker frittata remove coconut milk and cook on high for 1-1/2 hour)
  5. Go about your business and when you're ready come back and serve





           
Sign-Up for monthly newsletters and
receive my FREE eBook




6 comments:

  1. Jack & I are going to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really interesting to me. Would you describe it as sweet (like candied yams) or more of a savory (like sweet potato fries)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closer to savory, especially when using ham. The salty pork balances out the sweet potato nicely.

      Delete
  3. i dont see where you use the sweet potato in the directions of the recipe? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do the sweet potatoes go? In the crockpot with everything else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the sweet potatoes cooked first?

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...