NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: MY 4 FLU PREVENTION TIPS

11/6/13

MY 4 FLU PREVENTION TIPS

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again...flu season.  Before the flu sweeps the nation, I take a few steps to change things up in order to stay healthy. Nobody wants to get sick, but it's so important to stay ahead of it all and use common sense.  Trust me, my entire office is sick and I'm doing everything short of spraying them with Lysol and working in a plastic bubble.

According to the CDC, the 3 actions to prevent the flu are
  1. Flu shot
  2. Don't spread germs
  3. Take the prescription your doctor gives you

It sounds like they're throwing out some no brainers just to be of some comfort.   If you are old enough to read their measures, you're old enough to know that dodging the flu will take more then what they're calling for. My problem with their suggestions are...
     
  1. I'm not big on injecting a virus in my body when I already have an autoimmune condition, Celiac. However, lots of people take no issue with a flu shot, but if you already have an autoimmune condition definitely seek out expert advice and do your own research to see if it's right for you.
  2. I don't sneeze on people and during this time of year I don't touch my mouth unless my hands have just been washed.
  3. I don't want to go to the doctors, but if I do, taking my medicine is a NO DUH.
Remedy

Don't get me wrong, I do get a few hours of misery annually, but by taking the steps below I haven't had to miss work due to a lengthy flu. These are the steps I've been taking for years and have been rather fortunate not to be part of the annual epidemic.
 
1. Keep it Clean - Wash your hands with good old soap and water after touching things other people came into contact with. Good old soap in a nice fluffy lather and warm water have worked wonders for years.  Personally, the anti-bacterial gel...not so much. Wipe down your work area daily, if not twice daily.

2. Crowd Control - If there's an EPIDEMIC stay away from malls, theaters, amusement parks and restaurants. Do you want sick people handling your food?

3. R&R - Listen to your body.  If you feel slightly stressed or sluggish, get to bed earlier, decline dinner invites, meditate, take a hot bath, whatever you need to do in order to be kind to your body.

4. Eat Clean - The digestive tract is an important part of your body's immune system.  The intestine is made of several types of tissue that store immune cells.   I've listed some supplements and gut healing foods below.  The key for me is NO refined sugar, processed or fast food when I'm feeling ill, but staying away from that junk at all times is the best

Vitamins-For-Acne

BELOW I'VE LISTED THE ADDITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS I TAKE WHEN I FEEL THE SNIFFLES COMING ON AS WELL AS WHICH FOODS ARE RICH IN THOSE VITAMINS.  THE SUPPLEMENTS BELOW ARE FOR MY NEEDS AND I'VE CONSULTED A PHYSICIAN TO DETERMINE MY SPECIFIC DOSAGE. REMEMBER YOU CAN EAT YOURSELF HEALTHY AS WELL AS SUPPLEMENT. 

MULTI-VITAMIN (at least 30 minutes after my morning coffee)

B-COMPLEX   (lunch)

Why?   Protects immune system and skin

Food Sources: butternut squash, carrots, collar greens

VITAMIN A  (In the afternoon with my Vitamin D and ONLY when I'm sick)

Why?  Protects immune system and skin. Helps support vision.

Food Sources: cod liver oil, raw whole milk, egg yolks, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, collard greens

VITAMIN D  (In the afternoon with my Vitamin A)

Why?  Promotes bone mineralization and assists in the absorption of calcium and phosphorus from food in the intestines. In addition it assists in reducing inflammation. 

Food Sources: cod liver oil, fatty fish (catfish, herring, salmon, mackerel, sardines & tuna), egg yolk, beef liver

VITAMIN C   ( 1 at least 30 minutes after morning coffee, 1 at lunch and 1 at bedtime)

Why?  Benefits may include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even wrinkles.

Food Sources: raw red & green sweet pepper, brussel sprouts, broccoli, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, oranges, papaya, pineapple, mango

IRON  18 mg (at bedtime)

Why?  Makes the proteins hemoglobin and myoglobin, which help carry and store oxygen in the body.

Food Sources: oysters, blackstrap molasses, dark chicken meat, red meat

L-GLUTAMINE  4g  (2 g powder form in 32oz of water 2x a day)

Why? It is the most abundant, naturally-occurring, free amino acid found within skeletal muscle and blood. Strenuous exercise is associated with a drop in plasma glutamine levels and impaired immune function. Consuming L-glutamine can help boost your immune system.

BONE BROTH
 
Why?  Rich in magnesium which boosts the immune system 

 

Disclaimer: This website contains general information about medical conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such. I do not have any  type of medical training. Anything found on this blog is documentation of my journey and experiences only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...