NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: PUMPKIN PECAN BROWNIES

3/24/13

PUMPKIN PECAN BROWNIES




This recipe is an adaptation of George Bryant's (aka the Civilized Caveman) Raw Pumpkin Brownies.  My  (not quite raw) version uses pumpkin puree, which I found out has been cooked.  Therefore these are not technically "raw" according to my raw foodie friend, but pretty darn close.  
 
Anyway, they're super easy to make and not packed with refined sugars, so that when you eat half a pan with your cup of coffee for breakfast you don't feel the need to justify it to anyone...STOP JUDGING ME!
 
The crust is absolutely my favorite part, so if you make and you're not the biggest fan of the pumpkin, rather than hating on me, scrape off and chow down on the crust...sooooo good!
 
Everyone went full force on the pumpkin cooking early October, but I'm more of a November pumpkiner...trade marking that! If you want to see more pumpkin shenanigans check me out on Instagram.
 



Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pecan Brownies
Pumpkin Pecan Brownies
 

BROWNIE

  • 1/2 c pecans
  • 1/2 c walnuts
  • 1 c packed dates, pitted
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp fine sea salt

FROSTING
  •  1/2 c coconut butter
  •  1/4 c coconut oil, soft but not melted
  •  3/4 c pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  •  2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  •  1 tbsp raw honey
  •  1/4 c pecans, chopped (for topping)

ORDER INGREDIENTS ONLINE BY CLICKING --->HERE<---

STEP 1 - MAKING THE BROWNIES
     
  1. Pecans, walnuts, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt in at food processor and pulse until the nuts are finely chopped.
  2.  
  3. Add in the packed dates and continue to pulse until it blends together into a nutty paste.
  4.  
  5. Remove the blade from the processor and using your hand, make sure all ingredients are mixed together.
  6.  
  7. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
  8.  
  9. Spread the mixture evenly, firmly press until flat and refrigerate
  10.  
  11. Make frosting

STEP 2 - FROSTING TIME
     
  1. In a medium glass mixing bowl, combine the coconut butter, pumpkin puree and softened coconut oil and thoroughly mix together.
  2.  
  3. Add the pumpkin pie spice and honey to the puree and continue to mix until everything is blended together.

STEP 3 - ASSEMBLE & CONSUMPTION
     
  1. Remove brownie pan from refrigerator and spread frosting evenly over the brownies, using a spatula to spread nice and smooth.
  2.  
  3. Sprinkle the entire surface of frosting with the chopped pecans and gently press into the frosting.
  4.  
  5. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes to allow the frosting to harden slightly.
  6.  
  7. EAT




9 comments:

  1. Whenever I have coffee and a baked good it's over! Something about the combination is amazing. These sound really good and I love George!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this today!! My boys loved it (they liked the base the best). I think I may have added a bit too much cloves but next time I'll just get some actual pumpkin pie spice. So easy and tasty I know this one will be coming back at Thanksgiving and several times before that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to this way of eating but looking for better for myself and my family. My husband and I are obese and we have two very small boys (4 and 16 mths) to live for. I just made this with my 4 yr old and it is delicious. Thank you so much for posting this we are so grateful. You are changing lives! You are changing our lives! My fb page is Becoming the ME I always wanted to be if anyone wants to follow my journey, I appreciate all the advice, recipes, and help I can get. I am 44 yrs old and stay at home with my precious boys. I have recently lost 33 lbs since Jan 1st and I don't sell anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your weight loss, that's fantastic and I know how hard you worked for those lbs.
    Please email me on Facebook or tag me on Instagram so I can follow your progress, it keeps me motivated too.
    Thank you for the kind worded and Im glad you enjoyed the recipe and please let me know if you have any requests, I love a good challenge.

    MAHALO!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. i made this, and it failed miserably. none of my family liked it. it mightve been because we didnt have coconut butter... but anyways, it just failed and tasted horrible. but it looked beautiful : ) put some coconut flakes and dark chocolate peices on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to read that :( but you definitely need all the ingredients. These are a dessert request from raw, vegan & vegetarian friends, maybe they're an acquired taste.
    Love the dark chocolate idea...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! Is coconut butter the same as coconut manna, by chance?

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...