NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: COUNTRY(ISH) BISCUITS

3/15/13

COUNTRY(ISH) BISCUITS

WARNING: If you're not into cooking with butter than you're gonna have to find a different recipe or try modifying because I loooooove biscuits made with butter. They are so...buttery, something coconut oil and palm shortening just can't replicate. It's hard enough not being able to use flour, I'm not about to go sans butter on these bad boys.

Now that we have that out of the way we can move on to making these guys. There are fluffier and slightly more labor intensive recipes out there, but if you haven't noticed I like to keep the cooking simple so I can just get to the eating.  
This recipe can be cut into biscuits, sliced into squares or scooped - serve them how you want. Regardless of the shape it will taste the same...yummy!



IMG_7009
       

      INGREDIENTS:
      • 1c almond flour, fine ground
      • 1/4 c coconut flour, sifted
      • 4 tbsp butter, grass-fed (Kerrygold will work)
      • 1 Tbsp baking powder
      • 1/2 tsp baking soda
      • 1/4 tsp salt
      • 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
      • 3/4 c coconut milk
      • 1 egg
      Try smearing a bit of 2 Ingredient Strawberry Jam on these bad boys.

      INSTRUCTIONS:
       

      1. Pre-heat oven to 450F and grease (I use Spectrum Coconut Oil Spray) an 8x8 baking pan (just an approx)
      2. In a large mixing bowl; combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda & salt, mix with a fork until well blended.
      3. IMG_6852

      4. Blend the tapioca starch to the flour mixture.

      5. Cut butter into flour mixture and combine until the butter has turned into tiny little clumps. 
      6. IMG_6856

      7. Add the coconut milk and egg; using an electric mixer, blend the batter until smooth.
      8. IMG_6858

      9. Pour batter into the greased pan and using a spatula, smooth the top (optional)

      10. Place the pan in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

      11. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.

      12. Once cooled, use a biscuit cutter and slice your biscuits (or just use a knife...up to you)


      IMG_6981
      (pictured above in a 11x 7 baking dish and doubled recipe)




       COMMENTS: Because the recipe is made with coconut flour, it's hard to get the biscuit shape without baking then cutting. However, if you want to avoid the cutting part, you can just make drop biscuits, but they don't come out to "fluffy".  Lastly, if you want something thicker, just double the recipe.  

      SAVES IN THE REFRIGERATOR FOR UP TO 5 DAYS REHEAT IN OVEN OR PAN - DO NOT MICROWAVE







                  />
                Sign-Up for monthly newsletters 
               and receive my FREE eBook



      11 comments:

      1. Very impressive! This is such a wonder bake! =D

        ReplyDelete
      2. Starting the 21-Day Sugar Detox tomorrow, and I can't wait to try these! Thank you!

        ReplyDelete
      3. I'm doing another round of the 21DSD too, need to let my body recover from Valentine's & St. Patrick's Day treats. This biscuits are 21DSD "ok" if you allow dairy, which I believe is level 1 & 2...which I do in moderation.
        I'll be posting some 21DSD recipes that cook for the family soon. Good look on your detox and please let me know how everything turns out.

        ReplyDelete
      4. These look super yummy! Do you know of a substitute for the tapioca starch?

        ReplyDelete
      5. I use tapioca starch aka tapioca flour as a binder to replace the gluten. You could try adding 2 egg whites, but it will give a different texture, but still yummy!
        If you cook with cornstarch you can go that route too. :)

        ReplyDelete
      6. Thanks Simone, I'm going to make these for my dad, he's mostly grain free and rellay enjoy's Mary's Gone Crackers, these look like a great alternative.

        ReplyDelete
      7. I have been dying for a good biscuit recipe and this one looks good! Thank you!

        ReplyDelete
      8. Anyone try subbing gelatin for the tapioca? I've had good luck in some recipes as it gives the same "gummy" feel as gluten. . . I may have to whip these up today! Yum-O! We are on the 21 DSD again. . . hubby lives on the dairy and couldn't survive without it so he stays in a split level 1/2 and since I'm pregnant, I'm also eating cheese & butter so baby gets the calcium and fats (I'm struggling to get ENOUGH calories/fat in even with cheese and butter!). Is it horrid that I'm picturing this dripping with jam or honey butter???

        ReplyDelete
      9. I tried gelatin first, but couldn't get the chemistry right :(. Let me know if you figure out a way.
        I love the biscuits with honey...sooo yummy. If you have a sweet craving, maybe add some shredded apple & cinnamon to the mixture? Or a green tipped banana and almond butter spread?
        Ugh! Now I'm craving jam.

        ReplyDelete
      10. Do you think this would work with Ghee? Maybe I will try and find out.

        ReplyDelete
      11. Ghee doesn't have the same fat content but I'm sure it would still taste good.
        PLEASE let me know how it works out.

        ReplyDelete

      .

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...