NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: SPICE MUFFINS

1/13/13

SPICE MUFFINS

Let's Connect...








There's nothing like fresh spice muffin early in the morning...or for a snack...or with a bowl of soup. Ok, there's nothing like a fresh muffin END OF STORY.   These muffins are just sweet enough to take care of any cravings without being overpowering. PLUS, if you take a look at the ingredients you wont find any refined sugar, so they're virtually guilt free. 

The recipe is 21 Day Sugar Detox compliant. If you want something a little sweeter, add 1 additional teaspoon of vanilla and 1 Tbsp of raw honey or maple syrup and sprinkle with coconut sugar; so good!

For more 21DSD recipes, visit my 21-Day Sugar Detox Recipes page.







INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 eggs + 1 egg white
  • 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, cloves & nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
If you're NOT on a 21DSD try smearing a bit of 2 Ingredient Strawberry Jam on these bad boys.



INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease 6 muffin tins.
  2. Whisk eggs and mix in melted coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla in large bowl
  3. In medium bowl, mix coconut flour and remaining ingredients
  4. Sift flour/spice mixture into egg mixture and stir until blended well
  5. Fill the muffin tins 3/4 of the way
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the muffins, especially the edges,  become golden brown

 

           
          Sign-Up for monthly newsletters 
         and receive my FREE eBook



11 comments:

  1. Is that 1/3 CUP of coconut flour? Also, is that a common ingredient at health food stores?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'll fix that, thanks for pointing that out.
    You can purchase at Whole Foods and most "health" food stores. It absorbs lots of liquid so if u adjust the flour you have to add liquid (coconut oil, milk, eggs etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. These may be just what we need today. . . we are on day 6 of the sugar detox (again). Looking forward to enjoying these later while everyone else is having applesauce cake for papa's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Me too! I just did some recipe testing and made an apple cinnamon coffee cake for Mother's Day breakfast. I hope to post today. It doesn't require tons of ingredients or time to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! Just wondering if these are supposed to have pumpkin in them? I made them this morning, and they weren't orange like your picture...they were very light tan. And very crumbly! I would love to try this recipe again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, I'm so sorry for the late reply, I JUST received notice :(
      The color from the batch pictured was due to the cinnamon I used. It was Vietnamese cinnamon a friend brought back from a trip, which was very orange in color. Typical cinnamon isn't that vibrant. I didn't realize that was the case until I made these the other night.
      Regarding them being crumbly, coconut flour really soaks up moisture. I've been playing with different brands and getting different results on the same recipe. What I do is add more coconut milk, let it sit and see how dry the batter gets. At the most I've added an additional 1/2c coconut milk on some flour brands.
      I'll be sure to call out the coconut flour brands in the future. For the most part I try to stick with Bobs.

      Delete
  6. How many muffins does this make? It's probably in there somewhere, my brain is just not functioning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made these muffins and as far as cooking they turned out a little moist and pretty. On the other hand they taste very salty. I didn't have any cloves so I used 1 tsp of Allspice in place of the cinnamon, cloves and ginger ands then added the nutmeg separately. Which after I tasted it remembered that nutmeg is the spice I don't like. Lol
    Did I change the taste by using the allspice to make it taste like all salt and nutmeg (I think that's what the strong flavor is)? Do they taste better when they're cold?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you use canned coconut milk or coconut milk from the carton (i.e. So Delicious)?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...