NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: APPLE FUNNEL CAKE

4/2/14

APPLE FUNNEL CAKE








Gluten-Free Apple Funnel Cake

I know there are lots of gluten-free and even Paleo Funnel Cake recipes. The type where you drizzle batter straight into hot oil and sprinkle with powder sugar. Ooooh I love funnel cakes. 

Did you catch yourself drifting into funnel cake land too? It's my happy place.

I love cooking, but I love eating even more, so of course I had to find a way to cut a bit of time off from this frying batter nonsense.  What I came up with was apple curls tossed in tapioca flour and fried up. With the sweetness of the apples I don't feel the need to cover in berries & cream, though I won't judge you if you do. 


Anyway, the days of my fried food binges are numbered. In 6 months I'm maid of honor at my best friends wedding and the dress is strapless. NIGHTMARE! Basically what I'm telling you is that in 5 months I'll start some sort of guilt diet and hope for the best...KIDDING! (or am I?) 

Things like this are definitely a treat, which so many people tend to forget. Stating it's a gluten-free or even a Paleo donut doesn't suddenly make it a health food. Frying apples instead of batter is the same thing. I tried a baked version of this, just to keep it a bit healthier. It just wasn't the same, though I will continue to try.

I honestly hope I didn't turn you off from frying up apples, cuz ya should! 
Num num num!!!





INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 granny smith apples, curled
  • 3/4 c. tapioca starch
  • palm shortening for frying
  • 1/2 c. coconut sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside
  2. Using Zoodle machine, create apple curls (or slice into thin sticks)
  3. Coat apples with tapioca starch
  4. Place coated apples in strainer and gently shake, removing excess tapioca starch
  5. Place palm shortening in a deep skillet or fryer and heat oil to 375• 
  6. Drop 1/2 of the apples into the skillet, creating a funnel cake look
  7. Fry for 1 minute or until golden brown, flip and fry another minute
  8. Remove from oil and place onto paper towel and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture
  9. Repeat with the remaining half
  10. Eat while hot!
This recipe is also linked to Gluten Free Wednesdays










           
          Sign-Up for monthly newsletters 
         and receive my FREE eBook






1 comment:

  1. What is palm shortening?.....could I use coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...