NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: CHICKEN MASALA

12/27/13

CHICKEN MASALA

I've seen dozens of ways to make Tikka Masala, some people are very firm about what you can and cannot use, others seemed (re)laxed. So, rather than losing my mind searching the internet for the perfect recipe or buying a store brand full of preservatives, I chose to make my own version combing recipes I found and improvising with ingredients I had.  

The hardest thing to find was fenugreek...what the heck? I know...right? Anyway, found it at a local store finally, but it's also available at the Savory Spice Shop.  Actually, I think the fenugreek is more for "Butter Chicken", but I threw it in this recipe too and the family looooooved it, so it's a keeper in my book.  


I love eating this with broccoli, the vegetable soaks up the masala juices better than any other veggie and my daughter actually asks for seconds on just the broccoli. 



Chicken Masala

 SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS:
  •  2 lbs chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1/4 c coconut oil
  • 1/2 medium red or sweet onion
  • 1/2 tsp garlic paste
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp fenugreek powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 6-oz can tomato paste
  • 1/2 c coconut milk
  • 1 tsp sea salt

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium heat; toss onion into the pan, cook until translucent.
  2. Turn the heat to low and add garlic paste, garam masala, fenugreek, chili powder, salt and stir together until it's a paste.
  3. Add tomato paste to the spice mixture and stir together.
  4. Turn the heat back up to medium and add coconut milk, stirring everything together until well blended.
  5. Add the chicken pieces, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Stir occasionally.
  6. Once cooked, scoop onto some veggies and eat up!


Amazon Sopping





2 comments:

  1. Looks tasty, healthy, and I love the Savory Spice Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazingly delicious, I had to practically fend my hubby & kids off so they wouldn't lick the skillet clean haha! Thank you, this got 4 thumbs up & will be added to our weekly winter meal rotation ♥

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...