NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: COLD BREW COFFEE

12/11/13

COLD BREW COFFEE



Anyone else part of the cold brew coffee craze?  Cold Brew is popping up all over social media so I had to give it a try - it's amazing!  It lacks that acidic kick you get from most coffee, it's what coffee should taste like.

Unfortunately, my wallet cannot support a Chameleon Cold Brew habit, so I'll have to continue to make my own.  For years I've been making my own concentrate using my French press.  It's a little trick I learned at least 10 years ago when working at a well known coffee house chain. However, you can purchase a machine to make it too (see bottom of post). 

You can use any type of freshly ground coffee bean, but I prefer an organic bean and one that's a medium to dark roast.  Just know, that the better the bean the better the brew - it's a fact!


Homemade Cold Brew Coffee




INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup of fresh finely ground coffee 
  • 4 cups of filtered water
INSTRUCTIONS:

1.      Combine ground coffee and water in a French press or large mason jar. Stir to combine well.

2.      Cover and leave for at least 10 hours, and up to 24 hours at room temperature.

3.      Put a coffee filter in a fine sieve over a medium bowl and slowly pour coffee through the filter.

4.      Refrigerate until ready to use. Keeps for up to 2 weeks.

5.       When ready, dilute to preference.
    • Normal strength cup – 1:2 ratio is common (one-third coffee concentrate, two-thirds water)
    • Stronger cup of coffee- 1:1 ratio.  

BELOW ARE A FEW COFFEE BEANS I'VE USED AND ENJOY.  
I prefer a whole bean and grinding it myself. 




2 comments:

  1. So do you drink it cold??? I'm not familiar with cold brew drinking ways :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can drink it hot or cold. I sometimes put it on ice and add a bit of water OR you can pour it into a mug, dilute and heat for a quick cup of coffee. I usually drink it as iced coffee though.

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...