NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CAKE

12/18/13

CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CAKE

I can't believe the holidays are right around the corner and I've hardly baked a thing - UGH!

The other day I asked my daughter to choose the holiday flavor of the week and she went with chocolate & peppermint. Ok, that's technically 2 flavors, but blended together make for a great holiday treat. 


In the middle of making a chocolate peppermint cookie I realized I was missing 1 main ingredient. Instead of having a holiday meltdown I improvised and added a few other ingredients coming up with this cake.  LUCKILY my daughter   didn't have her heart set on cookies and gets on board when I wing it, which tends to happen all the time. 





Pictured as a bundt cake with melted chocolate - Double the recipe 

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 c. coconut sugar
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1/4c. coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1 c chocolate chips (I like Enjoy chocolate chips)



Pictured as instructed in recipe

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 325F and grease an 8x8 pan
  2. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in medium bowl until soft peaks form
  3. Gradually beat in the coconut sugar until firm peaks form
  4. Combine cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder and baking soda in a small bowl
  5. Whisk egg yolks together
  6. Gently fold all ingredients EXEPT the egg yolks together
  7. Once well combined, stir in the egg yolks, peppermint extract and 1/2 dark chocolate
  8. Pour batter into greased pan  
  9. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes
  10. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips onto the cake and gently pat
  11. Continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes
  12. When removed from the oven you have the option of using the back of a spoon and spreading the chocolate into a thin layer.









           
          Sign-Up for monthly newsletters 
         and receive my FREE eBook




No comments:

Post a Comment

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...