NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: BLUE RIBBON DARK CHOCOLATE BROWNIES

7/28/13

BLUE RIBBON DARK CHOCOLATE BROWNIES


My love of baking all started with cooking brownies from scratch.  When I was about 12 years old, my mom let me experiment in the kitchen with one of her cookbooks, which I still use. My favorite thing to make was brownies.  Melting the chocolate into the butter, slowly adding all the ingredients together forming a decadent batter was just mind-blowing to me.  It was so much better than pouring flour from a box into a bowl and adding oil…bleck!

IMG_1195
Over the years I began to come up with my own brownie recipe, which became a huge hit with friends and family.  Unfortunately, I made it all with conventional white flour and once I was diagnosed with Celiac my conventional brownie days were over. However, I LOVE BROWNIES and I wasn’t gonna let a little white flour stand in my way. 

After a few rounds of experimenting with flours I came up with a grain-free recipe I really loved and most importantly it received my daughters seal of approval.  She likes them so much that she suggested I entered them in the local county fairs baking competition.  Well, I did and took first place in the 2013 OC Fair “Special Diet – Brownies & Bars” category…I’m still shocked! 


IMG_1210


INGREDEINTS:
  • 1-1/8 c. tapioca flour
  • ¼ c. coconut flour
  • ½ tsp sea salt, fine
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • 1-1/2 c. Dark Chocolate, chopped (up to 70% Dark Chocolate)
  • 1 c grass-fed butter
  • 1 c coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 eggs



INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350F (175C) and grease a  9" x 12" pan (8x8 if you want a thicker cakier brownie)
  2. In a medium bowl, blend tapioca starch, coconut flour, sea salt and baking powder, set aside
  3. In large a double boiler, melt the butter (or coconut oil) and dark chocolate
  4. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar and vanilla extract, blend well
  5. Add eggs one at a time, blending thoroughly
  6. Fold in flour mixture ¼ c. at a time, stirring removing any lumps
  7. Pour batter into greased baking pan and bake 25-30 minutes and allow to cool for an additional 20 before digging in
NEED MORE VARIETY? Add 1 c raw pecans, chopped to the batter prior to cooking and top with some caramel sauce....mmmmmm!










           
          Sign-Up for monthly newsletters 
         and receive my FREE eBook






4 comments:

  1. The measurement for the grass-fed butter is missing. Did you mean 1 cup of butter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO SO SO proud of you!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we use almond flour instead of tapioca? Will it hurt the taste/texture. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...