NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: SPICY CHICKEN & KALE BOWL

6/16/13

SPICY CHICKEN & KALE BOWL

A fractured left index finger is proving to be more difficult than not, hence the lack of blogging this week UGH! My 75-80 WPM average is probably down to 10 WPM with 5% accuracy. Typing is the least of my problems though. Besides not being able to train in Jiu-Jitsu this week, cooking has almost come to a screeching halt...almost ;)

Ok...I'm done complaining!

It's Sunday, which is one of my meal prep days. In the spirit of simple meals and minimal dish washing, I came up with this nummy thing. I had a bunch of Kale from my visit to a farm this weekend and needed to use it. My homemade kale chips have been an epic fail and I've yet to find a recipe to save me. Why buy it then? Well, incase you're not "in the know", kale is incredibly high in vitamins A, C & K, as well as being low-calorie. For more info on the benefits check out The Worlds Healthiest Foods.

Anyway, I decided to "Iron Chef" it and grabbed the kale, some chicken and seasoning, tossed it in a large pot and hoped the judges (the family) would like it.

IT WORKED!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 8 c Kale, de-ribbed and chopped (approx. 1 bushel)
  • 1lb Ground Chicken (turkey or beef work too)
  • 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning (whatever your favorite is)
  • Sea Salt, to taste (optional)
  • Diced Tomatoes (optional)
  • Avocado (Optional)
PREPARATION:

  1. In a large pot over medium-high heat brown chicken

  2. Add taco seasoning and 1/4 c. water to the chicken and combine well

  3. Toss 1/2 of the chopped kale onto into the ground chicken mix and stir until it has cooked down, approx 2-3 minutes

  4. Add remaining kale and salt, continue to stir and cook down for another 3-5 minutes tops

  5. Remove from heat and immediately plate

  6. Top with tomatoes, avocado or salsa

IMG_0724


COMMENTS: This is a great protein bowl for on the go, no sauce to worry about getting all over the place and if you add some avocado you'll have some healthy fat to carry you to your next meal.

top_mommy_blogs_signature_banner

2 comments:

  1. This is basically what I do for breakfast every day, except I add eggs, onion and carrots =) Kale + Ground Turkey + Avocado = Delicious-ness anytime

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I love Kale and thank you for another delicious way of adding it to my diet. Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...