NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: PUMPKIN-PECAN GINGERBREAD MUG CAKE

3/31/13

PUMPKIN-PECAN GINGERBREAD MUG CAKE

Finally,  I gave in and made this "mug cake" I hear everyone talking about. There were so many people saying "it's not Paleo if you microwave it!" that I was slightly intimidated until I realized, though not the ideal way of cooking, it's convenient and if we're gonna be hardcore about the Paleo, then you'll need to get rid of your computer. C'mon?  

Mug cakes are a lot of fun to make and something the kids can help with without worrying about a huge floury mess in the kitchen.  Everything is consolidated into 1 mug. Let me repeat that...1.  That means only 1 dish to wash, that's an amazing treat any day in my book. 

Anyway, I decided to make one of my faaaavorite flavors to start with.  Chocolate is easy, but I love pumpkin and gingerbread.  Each flavor on their own are amazing, but combine the two and you truly have a dynamic duo.  
Gluten-Free Pumpkin & Gingerbread Mug Cake
 
INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • pinch of salt (approx.1/8 tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbsp pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie)
  • 1/4 c coconut milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp raw honey
  • 1 Tbsp Blackstrap molasses
  • 1-2 Tbsp chopped pecans (optional)


INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. In a large mug (at least 12 oz), combine coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon ginger, nutmeg and salt, mix with a fork
  2. Add the vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and milk into the flour spice mixture and stir until well blended
  3. To the pumpkin batter, add egg,  honey and molasses and continue to stir until everything is mixed together
  4. Place in microwave and cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes, a little longer if the center still looks raw
  5. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes
  6. Top with chopped pecans (you can also add to the mixture prior to cooking)
  7. EAT UP!



5 comments:

  1. can I have raw dairy on paleo? I get it from an organic pastured farm. I like to eat kefir and raw cheese often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are mixed feelings within the Paleo community regarding dairy, even raw. I side with those that are in favor of Raw, grass-fed and/or hormone free dairy. I could go in a huge rant about it, but bottom line, if you can handle dairy and have access to Raw my opinion is GO FOR IT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the amount of coconut oil correct and/or necessary? I made this and the flavor is great but it never got cake-like even after 4 minutes. Your other mug cakes don't have oil so that's why I am curious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it 3 times this morning, once using my original recipe and the 2nd without oil and the 3rd with 1 Tbsp. The first came out very moist, but it was cooked through. My microwave is old so perhaps it just cooks things to death? The 2nd without oil was very dry. The 3rd time came out good. You could drop the oil, but add more coconut milk or other liquid so it doesn't dry out.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I will definitely try again! Thanks for the reply!!

      Delete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...