NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: BAKED BACON WRAPPED APPLES

4/20/14

BAKED BACON WRAPPED APPLES

When I was in 4th grade I was officially a latch-key kid. Both my parents worked full time and sometimes 2 jobs. After school my brother and I would have to walk from school to my grandmothers and hang out until my mom was able to pick us up, usually around dinner time.  My recipe development skills started there, in my grandmothers tiny apartment kitchen.

My brother and I would search the kitchen for something delicious to snack on, we were alone so we weren't about to have the fruit my mom left us. 
Microwaved potato chips with ketchup was my brothers specialty. I on the other hand usually went right to the white rice, which was always available, and would make rice balls, spam musubi, bacon fried rice...I'm pretty much the Bubba Gump of steamed rice. 

If you're still reading this, which I kinda doubt you are, you're probably wondering what the heck this has to do with Baked Bacon Wrapped Apples; I'll finally get to the point.  We made due with what we we could find and bacon wrapped apples, now a fairly well known treat, is something I loved to snack on at age 10.  It was my way of eating the fruit mom left us, but still being slightly naughty. 


SERVES 1-2 (I say 1 because I don't share)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 green apple 
  • 4 slices uncooked bacon 
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350°
  2. Slice the apple into 8 wedges
  3. Cut each slice of bacon in half, making 8 pieces of bacon
  4. Pour cinnamon and coconut sugar (optional) in a medium bowl and toss in the apples, coating them with the cinnamon mixture
  5. Wrap each piece of apple with 1/2 piece of bacon
  6. Place bacon wrapped apples in a pie tin (or other baking dish), cover with foil and place onto bottom wrack of oven for 30 minutes
  7. Uncover and move to the top wrack and cook for 15 more minutes




           
          Sign-Up for monthly newsletters 
         and receive my FREE eBook






No comments:

Post a Comment

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...