NUMMY FOR MY TUMMY: BAKED YUCA FRIES

7/6/13

BAKED YUCA FRIES



Baked Yuca Fries is my version of Yuca Frita,  my favorite side at a local Cuban restaurant.  Best served hot, a perfect pairing for pork and almost impossible to stop eating once you start. 

Yucca is the root of the Cassava plant with a texture very similar to a potato.  Below is what Yuca looks like. I've been able to find it at most major grocery stores with all the "exotic" veggies.  I love grabbing one veggie out of that section every time I hit the store, it gets me to cook outside my comfort zone and try new things. If you've never tried Yuca, give it a shot with this super simple recipe. 


Yucca
Yucca
INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 pounds fresh or frozen yuca root (serves 4)
  • 1 cup coconut oil (or fat of choice)
  • Sea salt
  • Clean Ketchup, dipping (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Peel the yuca, cut into large wedges, and remove the fibrous inner core (the long stringy thing)

  2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, place the raw yuca into the boiling water and cook until it begins to turn translucent and can be pierced easily with a fork, BUT not soft and mushy (approximately 20 minutes)

  3. Drain thoroughly and set aside

  4. Pre-heat oven to 375 F and line baking sheet with tin foil

  5. Place bacon grease or coconut oil onto baking sheet and place into oven until melted

  6. While oven is heating and fat is melting,  cut boiled yuca into smaller wedges (a bit bigger than steak fry size)

  7. Place yuca onto the greased baking sheet, bake for 20-30 minutes turning occasionally, until golden brown.

  8. Carefully remove yuca from pan and place onto a plate lined with paper towels

  9. Sprinkle yuca with sea salt and serve hot


5 comments:

  1. I remove the fiber-y stuff after I boil. It just seems easier to me. Any reason why that's not a good idea?

    My family actually prefers yuca fries to potatoes now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works either way. I've just always carved it out prior to boiling. It's a matter of preference :)
    My family prefers yuca fries too, they say it's less heavy and more flavor.
    Do you use any dip or other seasoning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a whole cassava "grove" in my back yard to grow these yummy roots! I love yuca. Have you tried making pasteles yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super jealous about your "grove"! I'm going to look up growing them now though. I haven't tried making pastels...yet ;)

    ReplyDelete

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...